A place to learn about local restaurants, reviews, recipes, and news about the food industry. My mission is to inform, inspire, educate, and entertain.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

It's Not Just Greek To Me

I had a dream once to open a hot dog stand. Coming from Chicago where the hot dog business is thriving I thought this is the kind of place for me. Well, that never happened. I watched and enjoyed others successfully build a nice business around the "classic" hot dog and thought why try to reinvent the wheel. I said I can be more successful eating and reviewing other peoples food and still get home at a reasonable hour. 

So, this is a tribute to Nick Tsalikis who followed his dream to have a restaurant of his own,  Greek Islands Grill, in San Tan Valley. After working his way into the business and learning the Greek way of food, he finally opened his own place in 2008. As you may or may not know, Greeks have an affinity for running successful restaurants. They care about the food and their customers. Nick is no exception.

Again, coming from Chicago where the competition for great food is all over the place, I have a high expectation for a meal I'm going to pay for. Greek food in Chicago is plentiful and really good. So when I moved out here to San Tan Valley, I thought I'd given up on ever having a Gyro's again. I'm happy to say that's not the case. 



I've been a big fan of the gyro's at Nick's Greek Islands Grill. Have had it a few times as a matter of fact and never been disappointed. He knows how to make really good Greek food. The pita bread is so good I buy some to bring home. The fries are amazing. Even the tzaziki sauce is homemade and good. I had a recent occasion to visit Greek Islands Grill with a local business friend, Larry Messinger from Unique Marketing Concepts. This time I wanted to try something different so I ordered a Greek Salad with Gyro's meat on top. Then Nick asked me if I ever had his Philly Steak Sandwich which I have not. He said you've got to try it. Who am I to say no? 

Greek Salad with feta, olives, tomatoes dressing and gyro's meat is hard to beat. Side of pita bread. Great. Then comes the "Greek" Philly Steak Sandwich served on pita bread. WOW! Melt in your mouth goodness. I can understand why it's the second best seller next to Gyro's. Nick uses the right ingredients ... bell pepper, onions, seasoning, and real Midwestern Rib Eye beef with a cheese blend of swiss and white american. Awesome! 

Nick's on the right track to success. Great food! Great service! What else can you ask for? I can't wait to explore the rest of his menu if I can get past my obsession with his gyro's.

Greek Islands Grill | 270 E. Hunt Highway | San Tan Valley, 85143 (480) 655-5454. Open Monday - Saturday from 11am to 8pmDelivery 4:00 to 8:00pm 

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading all of your reviews - we'll be moving to the San Tan Valley area within the next 6 months and are scoping the area for some good eats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Look forward to having you in AZ.

    ReplyDelete